About Me

My photo
I hope that what I post here and what you read may in some way encourage, challenge, inspire, or simply interest you... The Week 1 - 21 posts are a series dedicated to EXCEL School of Performing Arts Tour 2015. It's impossible to capture the whole experience, but here I choose to share at least one thing I learnt in each week of XLTT15.

Week 10 ~ Kaikohe // Bush Walking and God Talking

I'm thinking back and reflecting on my time in Kaikohe and finding it quite hard to choose a focus point for this blog post as there are so many things I could write about from this week... If we find ourselves in discussion sometime you may want to ask me what else I learnt within this week and I will gladly share stories but for now, I've chosen to write about stepping out and giving yourself space to be with God.

It was a stunning, bright, sunny winters day and three of the girls and I had taken a car out to Haruru Falls for a little sightseeing trip. The waterfall wasn't actually that impressive... but we took photos there and enjoyed the drive. I noticed that there was a bush track and went to read the info sign. I found that it was the Waitangi Trail which was a two hour walk. I absolutely love bush walks and with our busy tour schedule I hadn't really got to do anything of the sorts in a long time. I expressed my interest to the others but alas, walking for a couple hours was not what they had in mind for their afternoon off. They were keen to go back into town and watch a movie. Personally, that was the last thing I wanted to do on such a beautiful day. I suggested that I stay and do the walk then get picked up after the movie. My friends weren't too fond of that idea, concerned about my safety and not wanting to leave me alone. But something in my spirit just longed for this adventure. A chance to step out, do something I love, and be a bit spontaneous for a change. Besides, I knew I wouldn't be going alone, this was a date with my Jesus. I wasn't afraid, I prayed and felt like God was right there with me so I reassured my friends and they headed off, making me promise to keep in text contact so they knew I was okay. And then, I set off! Embarking on a journey through gorgeous Northland Bush beside the river, sometimes in the shade of trees and other times in the bright warm sunshine. I had a marvelous time! I was in awe of the scenery and had a heart ready to burst with joy. I talked with God as we walked along, having conversations about life and love, my past and my future, all sorts of things really. I got to the other end of the track and found a little cafe to sit and have a drink and bite to eat and not long later I was picked up and we went and performed a show that evening.

I suppose what I did was a little risky... but I just felt that I needed that little break. Being out in the fresh air, in Creation, seeing sights I'd never experienced before and may never see again, it was so refreshing.

There are so many opportunities in our lives but I think far too often we choose the safe route. We'd rather go with the flow and follow suit than to step out and be different. There are times when it's important to spend time with your friends and make connections and be included... but even more important is your relationship with God. Have you had endless conversations and catch ups with mates but neglected quality time with your Heavenly Daddy? Maybe you need to set aside some time to just be with Him. To talk, laugh, cry, soak in His Presence, create something together, worship, whatever! Your time spent with Jesus is so valuable and although there's a whole array of other things you could be doing... Nothing else is more worth your hours, minutes, seconds. I can assure you!