About Me

My photo
I hope that what I post here and what you read may in some way encourage, challenge, inspire, or simply interest you... The Week 1 - 21 posts are a series dedicated to EXCEL School of Performing Arts Tour 2015. It's impossible to capture the whole experience, but here I choose to share at least one thing I learnt in each week of XLTT15.

Week 3 ~ Rotorua // Compassion

So much about our time in Rotorua was wonderful. Our host church, Harvest, were so so welcoming. They were really excited about us coming into their community and building on the work they're doing. We were told that the schools can be a bit of a rough crowd but in my opinion they were some of the best we've performed to because they were so into the music, they cracked up laughing at our dramas and they weren't afraid to get up and dance, scream, take photos and ask questions. Our youth show was absolutely packed out and Maori TV were even there and broad-casted a segment on us!

A small thing that I loved about this week was it was right in the height of Autumn and there are huge trees all over the city so everything was covered in beautiful autumn leaves of all colours. It seems a simple thing but they always remind me of the beauty God can bring from brokenness. 

Right on that note, we were given an incredible opportunity by one of the men of the church. His name was Henry and he worked in the juvenile centre on the edge of Rotorua. One of our girls was billeted at his house, they got talking and the way it worked out was Henry arranged for us to perform to some of the guys at the centre... 

To be very honest with you (which is something I always strive to do here) ...I was scared. We're talking about a prison. A prison for offenders who are too young to go to jail. These dudes were only like fifteen years old but had been wrapped up in a life of violence, crime, and gangs. I was nervous to stand before them and talk, act, perform. We knew though that this was a divine appointment. A performance arranged by God that we had been called to and we went in there praying and believing that something in our show would touch these guys who are just humans like us that need God's love and grace. 

As a part of our show one of my amazing tour brothers, Rawiri, shared a bit of his story. He understands these young men. Without going into detail we'll just say he can relate to the lifestyle they've found themselves in. The difference though is that he's met God who has changed his life forever. Now he's using his talent and passion to show the love of God. To inspire others and make a difference. When he finished talking, he launched into a haka for the boys. Most of the team joined in but I stood in the wings, side of stage, watching. The extreme respect, love, and passion from my team mates simply oozed into the atmosphere, mingled with the Holy Spirit. When they all came off stage I happened to look across at Jah, another one of my tour bros and Rawiri's best friend. The brokenness and compassion in his eyes hit me and my own tears started flowing. As the band and vocalists began singing Mercy Tree, offering the hope of Jesus Christ, my tears turned into full out sobbing which lasted till the end of the show. My heart was utterly overwhelmed. It was a mixture of things that I can't even really break down or describe to you but I think the emotion of that moment will always stay with me throughout my life. 

Once we'd packed up we got to head over to the dining hall and share a meal with the boys. This was truly something special as we just got to hang out with them, getting to chat and be real. We weren't allowed to stay long but the short time we were there had an immense impact on all of us. Walking away from that place with the huge barbed wire topped gates and fences I was blown away. Never in my wild imagination did I think I would have that opportunity. God truly can take you places you'd never imagine or dream when you commit your life to following Him. 

You know, we went there with the hope of imparting something to the young men locked up in that juvenile centre... But I think we were the ones who walked away with something. My heart was softened and my eyes were opened and I experienced Christ's love and compassion in a brand new way.